Thursday, August 1, 2013

My First Challenge Walk MS Experience

by Jill Jones

      This will be my second year walking in Challenge Walk MS. My sister started this tradition for our family two years ago. I went with my mom and dad that year to cheer on my sister and brother-in-law. I was so impressed with the walk and how everyone cheered for each other and how everyone treated each other as one big family. I knew I wanted to be a part of that “family” the next year.       

      I am walking for my mom, Peggy, who was diagnosed with MS about five years ago. I am also walking for my mom’s best friend, Nancy, who was diagnosed a year later. I want to find a cure for them and all of the others that fight this disease every day. I feel that there is a good chance that can happen in their lifetime if we keep working to raise funds to support research. 

Challenge Walk MS is a unique adventure, unlike Walk MS that I also participate in every year. It is a chance to challenge yourself, to do something that might at first seem impossible. When my sister first said that she was participating in the Challenge Walk two years ago I thought she was crazy. I thought that there was no way I would ever do that, or that she would even be able to finish it. Today I am proud to say that I have completed one Challenge Walk and my sister has completed two. 

Last year I was very nervous before the walk because I really wasn’t sure if I could do it. I saw other people blogging about their training and thought I was not as prepared as they were. I have since learned that everyone has their own training and what I had done prior to the Challenge Walk worked for me. I live on a farm and actively help my children prepare their cattle for the county fair. My training consisted of walking our animals almost every day for many months. I also took many long walks in our fields and country blocks, which I believe also helped me. So that worked for me, but whatever you do to prepare, I’m sure will help you too! 
Jill’s family at last year’s Milton Mud Challenge, a fundraiser
that her sister and brother-in-law started three years ago to
support MS and raise funds to stop the disease. (
Front row:
Jill’s mom, Peggy; Jill; Jill’s sister-in-law Erika; and sister
Heidi. Back row: Jill’s husband, Greg; brother Ben;
dad, Jim; and brother-in-law Jeremy)  

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Jill - You're awesome!
    Hugs,
    Challenge Woman

    ReplyDelete