Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Jackie’s Top 12 Challenge Walk Favorites (when 10 isn’t enough!)

by Jackie Piper

1.  The Alpine Resort  
I'm pretty sure the movie "White Christmas" was filmed here in 1954. I love every quaint, kitschy inch of it!

2.  Door County Scenery
What a lovely walk through the countryside, every day, rain or shine.

3.  Wilson's Ice Cream
If the powers that be ever change the Day One route, our team will be making a looooong detour for this!

4.  Amazing Rest Stops
In a comparison study, Door County CW volunteers received the highest ratings compared to other really, really long walks. (Just kidding...but they would!)

5.  Mile Markers
Is there any more welcome site in the world those three days than Mile Markers 19, 39, and 49? Surely, I can walk ONE MORE MILE.

6.  Massages  
My calves thank you. My thighs thank you. My lower back thanks you!

7.  Basket Auction
I never knew I needed so many items until I saw them at the auction and I HAD to bid!

8.  The Teams
Your team, my team, all the teams are incredibly inspirational! Will there ever be a better team name than "MS is BS"??  And, how do you thank teammates who meet you at mile marker 40 with a hard cider??

9.  Dinner Programs  
I am so tired that I think I can't hold my head up another minute. Then an amazing speaker stands up and gives a testimonial that has me hanging on every word.

10. A Wisconsin Welcome  
I'm from Illinois. I used to live in Wisconsin many moons ago and I miss hearing “bubbler” and “stop and go lights.”  But, I feel I've come home when I walk in the door of the resort and get a warm and wonderful, “We're so glad you're here! Thanks for walking.”

(left to right) Annie Welch and
Cammie Meerdink with their mom,
Jackie Piper, at the 2012
Challenge Walk MS finish line
11. The Ultimate Inspiration  
When I see the number of people who have MS who are participating in the Challenge Walk, I stand in awe.

12. The Finish Line
I don't remember when I first heard this line, but it is so true:  "Challenge Walk changes your life.”  When I cross the finish line, I’m not helpless against this terrible disease. I’m powerful. When the day comes that a cure for MS is announced, I can say, “I helped.”





No comments:

Post a Comment