Tuesday, November 10, 2015

They Kept Me Going


See that hat in the middle? It has seen close to 500 miles, touring with its owner, Heather Schuster, for a ride to the bottom of the Grand Canyon in 2006 and accompanying her as she trained for Challenge Walk MS throughout 2015.

“That was the original hat that started it all,” explained Michelle Evans, who joined Schuster’s team, Not Fast – Just Furious.

Schuster’s sister, Summer Mark, joined too.

And so did their matching hats.

“I bought a new one for the walk and it ended up being a tiny bit too big. I thought, I’m putting the original back on,” said Schuster, who proudly showed off a hole forming near the brim – a sure sign of good use.

“I was diagnosed with MS in 2012 and I’m turning 50 this year and so it seemed like I should walk 50 miles,” Schuster explained. “Summer and Michelle, one sister by blood and one sister by choice, were willing to come along. I don’t think I would have done it without them to train with. It’s one thing to do it this weekend but it’s another thing to train every weekend. They kept me going.”


Summer Mark, Heather Schuster and Michelle Evans were three of 50
first-time participants at Challenge Walk MS 2015. They joined in honor of
Heather’s 50th birthday and, together, raised nearly $5,500.

No comments:

Post a Comment