Monday, July 7, 2014

A Mattress for My Feet

by Jackie Piper

Let me begin my post today by sharing that I am old. Actually, according to one of my grandchildren, I’m “really old.” I am also not athletic. I am also NOT slim or svelte. This is just some essential background information that is part of the story of how I came to find my most favorite walking shoes of all time.

Last year at about this time I was in the market for a new pair of walking shoes. I get a new pair every summer as my “back up” pair as I train for Challenge Walk MS. We were at the Mall of America en route to our vacation spot and I ventured into the Nike store where there were literally hundreds of shoes on display.  

“Surely, I can find an awesome pair of shoes in here!” I said to myself.

Well, don’t call me Shirley because I never could find anyone to wait on me, perhaps because I am (a) old, (b) not athletic, or (c) not thin or svelte.

So….I strolled out the door and around the Mall until I came upon the Sketcher store. I’ve always thought of Sketchers as being for skateboarders. Not sure why. However, I was immediately approached by an enthusiastic young male clerk who was approximately 12 years old. (What are the labor laws in Minnesota??)  

I shared with him that I was looking for a pair of very comfortable walking shoes to train and use for a very long walk.  When I told him how long of a walk, he was appropriately impressed. 

He immediately and decisively announced, “I know just the shoes you need.”

With a flourish he brought me a pair of shoes that were lighter than air and said these magic words:
“They have Memory Foam inside, like the mattress.”

I put them on and fell in love right there in the Sketcher/skateboarder store in front of the 12-year-old... with a pair of shoes. I wore them to train thereafter and when I got home from vacation, ordered a second pair.


Last year was my fourth Challenge Walk, and I’ve got to tell you: I may be old, non-athletic and slightly overweight, but for 50 miles, I had some very happy feet!

Jackie will help host the next Challenge Walk MS conference call on Wednesday, July 9, and share helpful training tips. To join the call, dial 888-279-3775, and use conference code 4804#. The call begins at 6 p.m. Additional calls will be held August 13 and September 10. 

  

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the tips and encouragement to us gals "of a certain age". This is my first challenge walk so I have a few more questions. With only 114 walkers (as of last post), what kind of support can I anticipate--rest stops, water stops, etc. I walk about 3 mph, so will be on the road for 6-7 hours. What supplies do I need to bring? are supplied? can be purchased along the way? When are the walking routes published?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! We’re excited to have you join the event this year!!

      Here are a few quick answers to your questions:

      • There are fully-stocked rest stops every three to four miles along the route with fruit, snacks, water, restrooms and more. There is also a lunch stop at the 10-mile mark each day.
      • Support vehicles constantly patrol the route and can provide rides to the next rest stop or to the finish line. A professionally-trained mobile medical team also patrols the route.
      • Carry water and identification with you at all times on the route. We also recommend carrying sun block, body-glide and any other toiletries you need while walking. Half-day bags will be available to transport other items to you at the lunch stop and finish line.
      • This post from last year, from a veteran participant, has good suggestions for packing, too: http://challengewalkmsdoorcounty.blogspot.com/2013/09/what-im-packing-for-challenge-walk.html

      There is a conference call on Wednesday at 6 p.m. (Dial 888-279-3775 and use conference code 4804.) You’re welcome to call in, listen in and then ask any questions that aren’t covered. Otherwise feel free to call the office (262-369-4400) and we can talk through other questions you have.

      Hope that helps!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete